Bring out the best possible flavour and aroma of each tea is the key objective in tea brewing; this is the way to a pleasant beverage
文 By: 許玉蓮 Hooi Yoke Lien
Green tea is non-fermented. Picked fresh leaves go through a process of spreading out, fixing (panning), rolling and drying. As such, it undergoes comparatively little changes. More of the leaves’ natural components are preserved, and there are higher contents of health-benefitting polyphenols, amino acids, caffeine, Vitamin C, etc.
Developing a habit of tea drinking is recommended. Daily intake of green tea in an appropriate manner is good for our health. For example, polyphenols have a stronger inhibitory effect on the converting enzyme activity, thus helping our body to reduce or stabilise blood pressure. Polyphenols also promote the movement of our digestive tract, which in turn helps food digestion and prevents ailment of our digestive organs.
How to drink green tea in an appropriate manner?
1. Pay attention to the quality of the tea. Stay with good quality tea to reap its health benefit.
2. Don’t drink tea on empty stomach as it will cause minor stimulation. It is advisable to have tea after meals.
3. Overly strong tea, a burden to our body, should be avoided. Bring out the best possible flavour and aroma of each tea is the key objective in tea brewing; this is the way to a pleasant beverage. The fact that tea matters to our health doesn't mean that it doesn't matter to our taste. We must learn to enjoy or appreciate food, tea and all other things to fill our body with positive energy.
4. Don’t drink tea excessively. How much is “excessive”? There is no hard and fast rule simply because we are different people with different body constitution, eating habits and lifestyle. One cup of tea (about the size of a coffee mug, 120 ml) after each meal in a day is recommended. Carefully observe your body’s reaction and changes – listen to your body. Is it doing fine? If you feel comfortable, it means the amount is just right; if the body resists a little, it means you have to reduce the amount.
5. Remember to drink sufficient amount of water, too. Tea is different from water; they cannot replace each other.
Daily intake of green tea in an appropriate manner is good for our health